Buying Guide: Best Portable Countertop Dishwashers
Washing dishes is not really a chore most people enjoy doing. However, when most people think of dishwashers, they think of the large models that are installed under your kitchen counter. This belief might turn them off of purchasing a dishwasher if they live in a small house, apartment, or anyplace that would not have the room for a large appliance like a dishwasher. However, not many people think of portable dishwashers as a solution for their problem. Imagine simply hooking a portable dishwasher up to your sink, loading it like you would a standard model, then letting it clean your dishes while you handle other chores or take a break.#1 Top Rated Portable Countertop Dishwasher (Editor Selection) — Click Here!
Keep reading to see our top picks if you’re in the market for a good countertop dishwasher.
Our Portable Countertop Dishwasher Ratings At-A-Glance
- Compact design: This convenient dishwasher (17.3 L x 16.5 W x 17.3 H) can fit a variety of dishes (up to 12-inches in...
- No hookups needed: If you want The advantage of portability and storage, This dishwasher gives you the choice to fill...
- Five washing programs: you'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers five wash...
- CLEANS AS YOU GO - A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after...
- USER FRIENDLY CONTROLS - With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle...
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED - Features a quick connect assembly with accessories including inlet and drain hose and a faucet...
- 6 Place Setting Capacity (Accommodates dinner plates up to 10")
- Delayed Start Option up to 24 hours
- LED Display with Electronic Touch Controls
- Compact space saving countertop dishwasher with a quick connect feature compatible with most kitchen faucets
- 6 place setting capacity with silverware basket
- Energy star compliant and low water consumption up to 3.1 gallons of water (11.7L) per wash to help save you money
- Compact design: This convenient dishwasher has a 6-place setting capacity, making it ideal for small-sized houses,...
- Six-place setting: the six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter)...
- Quick installation: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly...
Types of Portable Dishwashers
There are two types of portable dishwashers. What most people think of when they think of a ‘portable’ dishwasher is a model that is slightly smaller than a standard dishwasher, which can have a higher cost than a portable unit. It usually features a butcher-block top, and casters on the bottom for easier transport and storage. Some models allow you to remove the casters and install it just like you would a standard dishwasher.
On the other hand, a compact dishwasher, also known as a countertop dishwasher, can easily sit on top of your kitchen counter or any other flat surface. Measuring about 18 inches and selling for a cheaper price, these small dishwashers are perfect if you don’t have the space to store a larger portable dishwasher.
To facilitate both washing dishes and draining water, both types have an intake adaptor that can connect to a standard kitchen faucet and a drain hose that allows the waste water to drain directly into the sink. These little dishwashers have the same features and abilities as their larger brethren, but their smaller size saves you both space and energy. They can run the same wash, rinse, and dry cycles, and usually accept up to a half-dozen place settings’ worth of dishes and cutlery. Portable dishwashers are the perfect size for a small house or a studio apartment, while a compact dishwasher is perfect for an RV or other small space. Both types are also ideal if you live alone or only have a few dishes to wash at any given time. Unlike larger dishwasher models that have a messy installation process, neither portable nor compact models require installation in order to use. Everything you will need is already included in the box; you simply connect and screw the hoses into the back of the unit, attach the faucet adapter to your kitchen faucet, make sure the drain hose runs into your sink, plug the unit into your wall electrical outlet, and you’re all set! When you’re finished using it, just unplug it, disconnect the hose from your faucet, and it’s ready to be put away.
What To Consider Before Buying
Like any appliance purchase, buying a portable dishwasher isn’t as simple as just driving down to your local appliance store and buying the first one you see. There are certain considerations you need to keep in mind in order to make buying a compact dishwasher as easy and hassle-free as possible:
How big is the space where you plan on keeping your dishwasher? Is it on a table, cart, or the kitchen counter? Do you have a corner or other space where your portable dishwasher can be housed when not in use? Make sure you measure the location where your dishwasher will be sitting to make sure it can be accommodated. If using a cabinet housing, make sure to take note of the distance between the bottom of your counter and the top of the cabinet.
While specific capacity varies from model to model, most portable dishwashers are roughly the same capacity as an installed dishwasher; while compact ones accept the equivalent of up to 6 place settings. Make sure you select a model that will have the capacity that works best for you. Remember a dishwasher that is too small for your needs will need to be run more frequently in order to wash all dishes; this not only ties up your kitchen sink for a longer span of time, but uses up more energy and water.
Generally, portable and compact dishwashers with stainless steel interiors will be more durable and last longer than those with plastic interiors. Research the different dishwasher models to determine which interior will work best with your needs and your budget.
Not all portable and compact dishwasher models have a drying cycle. If this feature is important to you, make sure to pay attention while shopping to ensure you purchase a model with a drying cycle.
If you are planning to place your compact dishwasher on a level lower than your sink’s level (for example, if you’re planning to put it in a low cabinet or on a cart that’s below sink level), you will want to make sure your compact dishwasher model has a pump so water can reach the drain. Otherwise, the dishwasher will need to sit on a countertop or similar surface that is level with or above the sink.
Most models of portable and compact dishwashers come with a water heater of varying power. These models with also generally come with two or more settings to vary the power output of the water heater. Research what type of heater and settings come with whatever model of dishwasher you are interested in purchasing.
Number of Different Cycles
Different portable and compact dishwasher models have a different number of cycles. When purchasing a dishwasher, keep in mind what you and your family’s needs are when thinking about the number of cycles.
Water and Energy Efficiency
Although all portable and compact dishwasher models are more energy and water efficient than their larger counterparts, their specific efficiency levels vary from model to model. Make sure you purchase a model that suits your energy and water savings needs.