23 Car Maintenance Tips Nobody Told You About
Your car is your everything, well, not really, but your car is one of the most important purchases you will ever make. It also makes up a large part of your budget.
After you purchase your car you want to make sure to take care of it and maintain it properly so that it runs for years to come. Like with many things in life, the devil’s in the details. Below is a list of maintenance tips that you might not have thought about.
Here is a list of 23 car maintenance tips to help keep your car in tip-top shape!
- List of Car Maintenance Tips You’ll Want to Keep Handy
- 1. Drive with Awareness…Every. Single. Day.
- 2. Fill ‘er Up at Reputable Gas Stations
- 3. If You See a Tanker at the Station Move On
- 4. If You Have a Heavy Keychain Lose Some Weight!
- 5. Get Good Car Insurance
- 6. If Your Storing Her Long-Term Make Sure She’s Got All She Needs
- 7. Protect Your Car from UVs
- 8. Keep Her Clean!
- 9. Protect the Carpet
- 10. Seal the Deal – Window and Door Seals
- 11. Protect the Leather
- 12. Baby on Board? Use a Towel
- 13. Paint is Car Sunscreen
- 14. Use Washer Fluid
- 15. Keep a Blanky Handy
- 16. When Loading the Roof, Lock It Down
- 17. Wash Your Car in the Winter!
- 18. Wax the Car
- 19. Keep the Caps On
- 20. Inflate Properly
- 21. Check the Thread
- 22. Rotate!
- 23. Buy Used!
- Keeping the Car Running
List of Car Maintenance Tips You’ll Want to Keep Handy
1. Drive with Awareness…Every. Single. Day.
We all take extra care when we first get a car but being careful needs to be a daily habit. Things like warming your engine before leaving the driveway and shifting the car into neutral when driving at a red light.
- Publishing, Moito (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 106 Pages - 12/17/2017 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
2. Fill ‘er Up at Reputable Gas Stations
Believe it or not some gas stations water down their gas or forgo the use of pump filters. When choosing a place to fill your tank ask if they mix their gas properly and if they change their gas filter properly. Once you’ve found stations you trust, stick to those.
3. If You See a Tanker at the Station Move On
When tankers are filling the stations, the flow can stir up sediment that can end up clogging up fuel filters and injectors which can lead to your car performing poorly or needing unnecessary repairs. Next!
4. If You Have a Heavy Keychain Lose Some Weight!
The weight from a heavy keychain hanging from your car ignition can damage the tumblers to the point where you end up with ignition switch failure. Just remember that those keys jump up and down when your car is in motion adding extra strain.
5. Get Good Car Insurance
This one might seem like a no-brainer but the importance of this necessitates mentioning. If you have a pulse and accident will definitely occur and you want to make sure your insurance will cover parts from the original manufacturer and will follow through with the repairs is green lights.
6. If Your Storing Her Long-Term Make Sure She’s Got All She Needs
When putting a car in long-term storage make sure the gas tank is filled and that you add a stabilizer. This will prevent condensation and protect the engine.
7. Protect Your Car from UVs
If you can’t park your car in a parking garage, make sure to use a car shade to prevent interior damage.
- ✔ IS YOUR VEHICLE PROTECTED? – Keep cooler on hot days with the Pro-tecta-Shade Sun Shade. Our name say’s it all -...
- ✔ STOP THE HEAT NOW! - THICKEST MATERIAL FOR THIS DESIGN – Our 210T material is thicker than similar sunshades out...
- ✔ TWO SIZE OPTIONS TO FIT MOST VEHICLES - LARGE: Cover's Small, Medium & Large size vehicles (63in x 31.5in) or (160cm...
- SWEATY OR MISERABLE? Ever opened your door to a blast of hot air in your face? Our windshield sun shade protects you...
- PROTECT YOURSELF AND CAR: High quality and durable sun blocker screen protector to maintain your car interior...
- EASY SETUP! Sunshade easily pops out and folds back in seconds making it convenient for daily use. Designed to be stored...
8. Keep Her Clean!
Keep the interior clean since dust and particles can be abrasive and liquids from spills can be pretty corrosive over time.
9. Protect the Carpet
Use car mats to maintain the carpeting in your car. You can vacuum and shake them out as necessary which can save you the expense of heavy-duty interior carpet cleaning.
- ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS: The all-season rubber floor mats protect your car's floors from dert & debris. Improved deeper...
- SUB-ZERO WEATHER: The 4-piece floor mat set is designed to be trimmed so that they may be customized to fit almost any...
- FLOOR MATS FOR CARS: Keep your car cleaner for longer periods of time with a variety of heavy duty floor mats for the...
- Bright Metallic Chrome Finish Floor Mats
- FlexTough – Our Advanced Performance Rubber Polymers are Tested for Extreme Conditions to Ensure they Don't Crack,...
- No-Slip Grip – Rubberized Nibs on the Bottom so the Mat Does not Move – Ergonomic Grooves on Top to Give your Foot...
10. Seal the Deal – Window and Door Seals
The rubber on your weather stripping can eventually wear down. To help slow down the process wipe on come silicone or rubber protectant. Just make sure it’s not oil-based.
- 303 Rubber Seal Protectant provides protection against drying and cracking in extreme temperatures for weather seals.
- Restores seal elasticity and conditions weather seals for doors, windows, hoods and trunks.
- Perfect for use on cars, boats, RV's or any rubber weather seal that needs conditioning and it will also rejuvenates...
- Temp Range: -30C thru 288C: Viscosity 42cSt/100C, 440cSt/40C; Stable in a wide variety of operating...
- Nonflammable: Krytox Grease contains only carbon, oxygen & fluorine, (no hydrogen or silicone); Will not burn or support...
- Chemically Inert: Resistant to oxygen and inert to most all chemicals; Inert nature allows Krytox Grease to...
11. Protect the Leather
If your car has a leather interior and it’s a good idea to use a leather cleaner and then leather protector on occasion to protect cracking or drying out.
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market....
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value — each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted...
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather...
- Protection lasts 12-16 months
- Great for leather seats, door panels and dashboards
- Prevents cracking, fading and discoloration
12. Baby on Board? Use a Towel
If you have a car seat place a towel under it to protect the seat. The heavy plastic can eventually tear through leather or upholstery.
- HUGE 36"x25" DRYING SURFACE: Sometimes bigger is better, and when it comes to waffle weave drying towels, that is...
- WAFFLES AREN'T JUST DELICIOUS: While normal microfiber towels use plush strands of microfiber to absorb water and dirt,...
- DON'T JUST BUY A TOWEL, BUY THE RIGHT TOWEL: Chemical Guys microfiber towels are made of a blend of 70% polyester and...
13. Paint is Car Sunscreen
The paint on your car makes your car look great and serves as its protection from the sun! Fix any nicks as quickly as possible and park your car in the shade to, well, protect the sunscreen.
14. Use Washer Fluid
It cleans better than water and the water can freeze in the windshield cleaner reservoir and cause serious damage to the car’s internal system.
- Advanced windshield washer fluid removes bug residue, road grime, bird droppings, and tree sap from windshields
- Power Cleaner penetrates the toughest residues, breaking down and removing up to 99.99 percent of all bugs
- Bug Stopper forms a barrier to help stop bugs, road grime, and other residues from sticking to your windshield
15. Keep a Blanky Handy
Keep an old blanket in the trunk in case you need to transport a bike or a pet, for example. This will prevent scratches and damage to your car’s interior. And who knows when you’ll feel like in impromptu picnic?
- WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - With the great protection provided by the polyester waterproof backing, you can wear it in...
- PACKABLE & PORTABLE- It’s also easyly foldable and packable, this compact waterproof throw blanket can be simply...
- WARM SHERPA FLEECE - The plush fleece has insulation make you or your kids stay warm and dry in the bleachers at the...
16. When Loading the Roof, Lock It Down
Make sure to properly secure loads to the top of your car to prevent damage and scratches. It’s also a good idea to double check that you don’t overload the car. Keep it light.
17. Wash Your Car in the Winter!
We know, we know, it’s going to get dirty again anyway, but here us out. If you don’t wash your car regularly the ice and cold will eventually cause corrosion and rust to your car. Wash your car regularly in the winter.
18. Wax the Car
Wax on, wax off. The wax will protect the paint on your car.
19. Keep the Caps On
One of those oft-overlooked car maintenance tips, make sure the valve on your tires all have caps. They’ll prevent leaks.
20. Inflate Properly
Maintain performance by getting a tire gauge and filling your tires properly.
No products found.
- MILTON: Pencil Gauges made with machined parts, unlike our competition! Made in the USA.
- INCLUDES: Built-in deflator valve, single chuck head, and white nylon indicator bar.
- PRESSURE RANGE: Measures PSI (5-50) in 1-lb. increments and Kilopascal (40-350) in 10-kPa increments.
21. Check the Thread
Check your treads to prevent hydroplaning and other accidents.
Regular rotation of your tires is important to getting the most out of both your tires and your car!
23. Buy Used!
If you need to replace your tires but you know you’ll only use them for another year get them used. It’ll save you big bucks!
Keeping the Car Running
Maintaining your car might seem a bit overwhelming, but a little consciousness goes a long way. With a long-term application, these habits will become second nature.