Buying Guide: The Best Protein Powder For Women
The use of protein powder as a workout supplement is becoming common among the average gym-goer. Especially for ladies who are seeking the best protein powder for women. While not necessary to get in a good workout, protein powders can be highly advantageous in diet-supplementing and can make a big difference when “amping-up” a workout routine, according to Web MD.
There was a time when protein powders and shakes were only for the big, masculine bodybuilder-types, something unnecessary for anyone else. Now, however, more athletes are finding themselves drawn to the supplements to help increase physical performance—and not just the targeted men of before, but women, too.
When it comes to gender-specific protein powder products, many wonder what exactly the difference is. The answer? Not much, depending on the brand. Some female-geared products, however, add important vitamins for female growth into the powder, such as folic acid and vitamin B6. The powder may also contain a slightly lower amount of protein, as less is needed for women than men. So, protein powder for women may also serve as a multi-vitamin, to an extent.
There are lots of protein powders out there geared specifically toward women at a competitive price.
Keep reading for a list of the Top 10 Best Protein Powders for Women.
- How We Choose Our Ratings
- Top 10 Best Protein Powders for Women
- 1. Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein Shake Vanilla, Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix for Women, with Added Nutrients - One of the best protein powder in the market
- 2. Gym Vixen Sexy Whey Premium Protein for Women
- 3. Garden of Life Organic Meal Replacement - Raw Organic Fit
- 4. Bodylogix Natural Whey
- 5. FitMiss Delight Protein Powder Women’s Complete Protein Shake
- 6. Jamie Eason Signature Series Whey Protein Isolate, Lean Protein Powder for Women
- 7. Klean Athlete - Klean Isolate
- 8. Aria Women’s Wellness Protein
- 9. NLA for Her - Her Whey The Ultimate Lean Protein
- 10. Her Natural Whey
- Buyer’s Guide
How We Choose Our Ratings
Each rating has been given with care and precision, with as much accuracy and honesty as possible. In evaluating each protein powder, we have taken into account a variety of factors: mix of ingredients, quality of ingredients, pricing, flavor, and, most importantly, customer reviews.
Combining these factors, we have compiled a list to present the most well-rounded and well-received protein powders for women.
Top 10 Best Protein Powders for Women
1. Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein Shake Vanilla, Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix for Women, with Added Nutrients - One of the best protein powder in the market
Sporting the title of Amazon’s Choice, this is a great product for women all across the board. Containing the important folic acid and Vitamin B6 along with a host of other vitamins, Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein Shake provides a perfect blend of nutrition for its users, and is commonly sited as the perfect alternative to the much-pricier Shakeology.
Reviewers on Amazon praise this mix not only for its rich vitamin blend, but for its taste, too—something we all know can be hard to get right when it comes to protein shakes. The mix is available in two flavors: Decadent Chocolate and Vanilla Bean.
The best part? Its 16 oz jar on Amazon is incredibly affordable.
- Contains (1) jar of 16 ounces of Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix, vanilla....
- Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein and Vitamin Shake Mix contains a nutrient blend that address the key...
- Quality, consistency and scientific research has resulted in vitamins and nutritional supplements of unrivaled...
2. Gym Vixen Sexy Whey Premium Protein for Women
Impressively, this formula has absolutely zero grams of sugar or fat yet still manages to taste good according to its supporters. Formulated for women, Sex Whey contains folic acid among other vitamins. Another protein-heavy option, the powder has 24g per serving. But here’s the kicker: each serving only has 96 calories. Such a low calorie count correlating to such a high amount of protein is rarely seen.
The powder comes in Rich Chocolate and French Vanilla that are both highly praised. In addition to being enjoyable to drink, the women who use this product praise it for granting them more energy throughout the day.
1.9 lb jars are available at Amazon.
3. Garden of Life Organic Meal Replacement - Raw Organic Fit
In this day and age, there’s a certain thrill that passes through us whenever we see the word “organic.” This word comes with a variety of connotations: it can mean better for the environment, more expensive, and, almost always, healthier. It can be rare to find dietary supplements sporting the prestigious “organic” label, so when a product does it cannot be easily ignored.
Garden of Life is well-regarded among multiple sites and has received almost entirely positive reviews. In addition to being organic, the mix boasts a wide collection of vitamins important for maintaining a health diet, though not the female-specific ingredients found in other protein powders.
There are four flavors to choose from: Chocolate, Vanilla, Original, and Coffee. It can be found on Amazon in 32.02 oz jar.
- Certified USDA Organic, Non GMO Project Verified, Certified Vegan, NSF Certified Gluten Free, Informed Choice Certified...
- Featuring Clean Organic Plant Protein from Organic Peas and Sprouted Organic Grains, Seeds and Legumes
- Boost energy and build lean muscle mass Use pre or post workout
4. Bodylogix Natural Whey
This protein powder mix is highly praised both for its taste and its quality, natural ingredients. Boasting a high 24g of protein per serving sourced from grass-fed cows, this is one of the most highly concentrated powders available and draws its protein from the pure form of whey isolate. While it doesn’t have any female-specific ingredients, it still remains an impressive option for its list of amino acids.
The flavors receive absolutely glowing reviews, from the simple Unflavored, to Decadent Chocolate, Vanilla Bean, Snickerdoodle, and Caramel Chocolate Chip. Yum.
Bodylogix is available for a price that won’t hurt your wallet too much.
- Provides 24g of complete protein per serving, sourced from grass-fed cows.
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, is gluten free, non-GMO and produced in a peanut free facility.
- NSF Contents Tested & Certified to ensure that every bottle meets the highest safety and quality standards and that all...
5. FitMiss Delight Protein Powder Women’s Complete Protein Shake
For those looking to lose weight in addition to gaining some muscle, FitMiss Delight Protein Powder is the perfect choice for you. Stories of successful and significant weight loss are abundant in the product’s reviews, though as with any dietary supplement, the shake should be combined with a healthy exercise regiment to see the best results.
FitMiss Delight lives up to its name in offering a host of seven delightful flavors that its customers rave about: Vanilla Chai, Chocolate Delight, Cappuccino, Flavorless, Blue Razzberry, Strawberry Margarita, and Fruit Punch.
You can buy a 32 oz jar on Amazon.
- WOMEN’S COMPLETE PROTEIN SHAKE: FitMiss Delight is the perfect women’s complete protein shake. The superior and safe...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN APPETITE CONTROL: This whey protein shake features Solathin, a vegetable-based protein that has been...
- OPTIMAL LEVELS OF DIGESTIVE ENZYMES: A unique blend of vegetables and fruits are added to FitMiss Delight to deliver...
6. Jamie Eason Signature Series Whey Protein Isolate, Lean Protein Powder for Women
This product boasts a whopping 25g of protein per serving, 5-10 grams more than many of the other products on this list. Web MD suggests an additional 10-14 grams of protein to build a pound of muscle, so this can seem a bit like overkill. If you’re not receiving a normal amount of protein in your regular diet, however, this may be a good option to turn to, though it is important to still view the mix as a supplement rather than total meal-replacement in terms of daily protein.
While the Jamie Eason Signature Series formula does not contain the impressive mix of vitamins that other powders have on this list, it does stand out for its use of whey protein isolate, which is a purer form of whey protein than in the concentrate form that many others use.
The protein powder mix is known for having a great taste, coming in tasty Chocolate and Vanilla flavors that are praised in the product reviews.
You can buy a 1.49 lb jar of this protein powder mix on Amazon.
- Zero artificial flavors, artificial colors, preservatives or artificial sweeteners
- 25 grams of high-quality protein & just 3 grams of fat
- 30 Day Supply
7. Klean Athlete - Klean Isolate
This product comes highly recommended for athletes, particularly because of its ability to replenish electrolytes post-workout. Possessing 20g of protein from whey isolate, this Klean Athlete formula provides a large quantity of high quality protein in a serving that is only 100 calories. That’s hard to beat.
The protein powder comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Unflavored. While the Vanilla and Chocolate varieties are praised, it is the Unflavored version that receives the highest compliments. It mixes seamlessly into any drink so you aren’t even aware that it’s there. Unlike most powders on this list that are primarily intended to be consumed in shake-form, users of Klean Athlete prefer to mix it into sports drinks or even just water.
It’s a bit pricier than other options on this list, but the 15.73 oz package is still worth the price.
- High Quality Whey Protein: Klean Isolate is a NSF Certified for Sport supplement that supplies 20 grams of high quality...
- Contains Bcaas: The dietary protein provided by Klean Isolate supplies essential amino acids, including branched chain...
- Naturally Occurring Electrolytes: Whey Protein isolate also contains naturally occurring electrolytes - sodium and...
8. Aria Women’s Wellness Protein
This product targets its intended female audience with full-force: it comes in a cute, fuchsia-colored jar and promotes its vitamins that produce healthy growth for hair, skin, and nails. In addition to these cosmetic benefits, the powder boasts 15g of protein per 90 calorie serving as well as a mix of iron and folic acid. Made with soy protein, it is vegan friendly in addition to being low in fat and sugar content.
Users of Aria have no complaints about taste, either. Many reviewers express their love of adding the Chocolate and Vanilla flavors to almond milk or a morning smoothie.
The mix comes in a small 12 oz can, and may be purchased from Amazon.
- Contains 1 - 12 Ounce canister of Designer Protein Aria protein powder for women, vanilla flavor. Packaging May Vary
- 15g of natural protein per serving complete with all the essential amino acids
- Non GMO, heart healthy soy protein isolate
9. NLA for Her - Her Whey The Ultimate Lean Protein
This protein powder formula definitely passes the test when it comes to being made with females in mind, containing doses of both Vitamin B6 and iron. This combined with the various other vitamins and amino acids it contains, and you’ve got a protein powder that can also serve to some extent as a multi vitamin. Her Whey boasts 24g of whey isolate protein per serving, but it should be kept in mind that with this higher amount of protein also comes and higher amount of calories: 180 for a single serving, double that of others on this list.
When it comes to flavor, there isn’t a whole lot of consensus. While many love Her Whey’s various flavors, it also has its fair share of critics, attacking both the flavor and texture. Whatever your taste, the flavors certainly sound appealing: Vanilla Cupcake, Pumpkin Pie, and Chocolate Éclair.
Her Whey is available on Amazon.
- GREAT TASTING PROTEIN: Mix 2 scoops (50g) of Her Whey Protein Powder into 16 fluid-ounces water (or to your liking) for...
- SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED FOR WOMEN: Her Whey protein is scientifically formulated to promote lean muscle growth, support...
- ULTIMATE LEAN PROTEIN: top quality whey isolate protein powder containing 28 grams of protein, only 180 calories, 5...
10. Her Natural Whey
With an adorable, punny name like this, it’s hard not want to want to try this protein powder mix out. With over a 4.5 star rating on Amazon, it’s clear that this product is receiving a lot of love from its users.
Most of this love seems to revolve all around the taste, each glowing review praising it for being able to drink the shake without struggle or disdain. It comes in two flavors, Chocolate Delight and Creamy Vanilla, which are described as being tasty without being sickly sweet.
Her Natural Whey contains a good deal of protein per serving—20 grams—as well as a high amount of iron, a particular plus for women, many of whom are iron-deficient without even realizing it. Along with these positive ingredients, however, also comes a less than great amount of sugar and fat that help create that great flavor.
The 16 oz jar a little pricier than some items on this list.
- 20 grams of protein per serving from grass fed cows free of rBGH
- Natural flavors and gluten free
- Only 3 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fat per serving
So, how do you make the best decision about what product is right for you? To start, think about your current diet and fitness goals. Are you looking for a boost in the gym, or for meal replacement? Are you consistently taking any other supplements or multi vitamins?
Specifically formulated for women protein powders can be great because of their inclusion of the female-friendly ingredients Vitamin B6, folic acid, and iron. If you are currently taking multi vitamins (specifically geared toward women), however, these factors may not be very important to you in deciding and you can look at some of the other, non-gender specific options listed here.
There are a lot of great powders that deliver large quantities of protein per serving, but this, too, need not be a deciding factor. If you already have a healthy diet rich in protein, you probably don’t need a huge boost and can settle for a powder with a lower amount of protein.
In choosing the mix that is best for you, it is also, of course, important that you enjoy it. Don’t sacrifice the benefits of the powder, however, just for taste. Make sure you get a mix that you both enjoy and that doesn’t have a high sugar content.
This list has compiled some of the best protein powder for women—hopefully from here you will find the best mix for you, and at a price that won’t break the bank.
Last update on 2021-01-16 at 17:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API