Buying Guide: Best Range Hoods for Indian Cooking (and Chinese Cooking!) [2016- 2017]
If you use your stove to cook on a semi-regular basis, you’ve probably noticed that it can produce grease, moisture, heat, smoke and fumes. Over time, these things can take a toll on your kitchen’s cabinets and walls. But there’s a solution! To help keep your kitchen fully ventilated, smelling great and looking clean, consider installing a range hood.#1 Top Rated Range Hood (Editor Selection) — Click Here!
Before you make the purchase, though, you’ll see that there are so many different types of range hoods and so many things to think about. So how do you choose the one that’s right for your kitchen? Read on to discover a few things that’ll help you make sure you buy the perfect range hood for you.
- Our Range Hood Ratings At-A-Glance
- Top 10 Best Range Hoods 2016 - 2017
- Our Range Hood Reviews
- Cavaliere SV218B2-30 Wall Mount Range Hood with 900 CFM in Stainless Steel Review
- Eureka 30″ Wall Mounted Glass Stainless Steel Range Hood Review
- Broan F402404 Two-Speed Four-Way Convertible Range Hood, 24-Inch Review
- FIREBIRD Stainless Steel 36″ Euro Style Island Mount Range Hood LED Screen Review
- FIREBIRD 30″ Stainless Steel Tempered Glass LED Display Touch Control Panel Island Mount Range Hood Review
- Broan 423001 ADA Capable Under-Cabinet Range Hood, 190 CFM 30-Inch Review
- Kitchen Bath Collection STL75-LED Stainless Steel Wall-Mounted Kitchen Range Hood with High-End LED Lights Review
- Broan 413004 ADA Capable Non-Ducted Under-Cabinet Range Hood Review
- Golden Vantage 30″ Island Mount Range Hood Review
- Broan QS130SS Allure Range Hood, Stainless Steel, 30-inch Review
- Types of range hoods
- Range hood features
- More to consider
Our Range Hood Ratings At-A-Glance
Top 10 Best Range Hoods 2016 - 2017Below is our list of the best range hoods for the money based on our team's ratings of the products. For reviews and more product information, scroll down the page or click on the links.
Our Range Hood Reviews
Still not sure which of the recommended models makes the best choice for your kitchen? Keep reading to learn what our editors like (and don’t like) about the models listed above.
Cavaliere SV218B2-30 Wall Mount Range Hood with 900 CFM in Stainless Steel Review
Have you always dreamed of making your kitchen into a room with a more polished look? This 19 gauge stainless steel range hood is the perfect accessory. The low-noise, dual-chamber motor ensures that your kitchen will stile the place for family and friends to gather, while the dishwasher safe filters make it a snap to clean. This range hood is suitable for ceilings up to nine feet tall.
Pros: quiet, easy to clean, programmable lights and motor. touchpad
Cons: not ideal for kitchens with ceiling taller than nine feet
Eureka 30″ Wall Mounted Glass Stainless Steel Range Hood Review
Your range hood can set the style tone for your whole kitchen, and this one is perfect for a modern inviting atmosphere. The steel and glass range hood is easy to clean, and comes with removable, dishwasher-safe panels. The motor operates at 65 dB or less, ensuring a quiet operation. You’ll also love the five speed control system.
Pros: quiet, easy to clean, easy to install
Cons: not ideal for kitchens with ceiling taller than 8.5 feet
Broan F402404 Two-Speed Four-Way Convertible Range Hood, 24-Inch Review
If you’re serious about cooking, then you know how important it is to have a range hood that can quickly draw steam away. This range hood is one of the best, and it’s designed to fit almost any kitchen! It can be installed four different ways to fit perfectly into your kitchen. Even better, it works in both ducted and non-ducted kitchens. It’s dishwasher safe aluminum grease filter is easy to snap off and place in the dishwasher when it’s time to clean.
Pros: easy to clean, easy to install, fits practically any kitchen
Cons: does not feature a touchscreen
FIREBIRD Stainless Steel 36″ Euro Style Island Mount Range Hood LED Screen Review
Is it time to update your kitchen? Your range hood can set the tone for your entire renovation. Fortunately, this one has the right combination of style and functionality to make your kitchen look great. The modern glass and steel design is perfect for installation above a kitchen island. It’s quiet operation will ensure that your kitchen is still a great meeting spot for friends and family. With easily removable stainless steel filters that go in the dishwasher, you can get it cleaned in a snap.
Pros: easy to clean, easy to install, quiet, comes with everything needed for installation
Cons: cannot be mounted in kitchens with ceilings higher than nine feet
FIREBIRD 30″ Stainless Steel Tempered Glass LED Display Touch Control Panel Island Mount Range Hood Review
If you’re looking for a modern range hood for your new kitchen, look no further. This steel and tempered glass hood has everything your could want. It’s designed to be mounted over a kitchen island, with a three speed motor that you can control on a touchscreen. Aluminum filters are easy to remove and can be washed in the dishwasher. A non-return flap prevents air from escaping when you’re not cooking.
Pros: easy to clean, easy to install, quiet, comes with everything needed for installation, modern design, touchscreen
Cons: designed to be mounted above kitchen islands only
Broan 423001 ADA Capable Under-Cabinet Range Hood, 190 CFM 30-Inch Review
If you are in the market for a new under cabinet range hood, then look no further than this model. It comes in many different colors including white, black, and stainless steel, so you can make sure you get the right one to match your current appliances. The Broan 423001 ADA Capable Under-Cabinet Range Hood comes in two different sizes to fit your needs and the aluminum grease filter is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. The corners are rounded for a cleaner look and added safety. Additionally, it is lightweight and powerful enough for all of your residential kitchen needs.
Pros: Available in two sizes, rounded edges provide extra safety in the kitchen, and available in a variety of colors.
Cons: Fan is loud.
Kitchen Bath Collection STL75-LED Stainless Steel Wall-Mounted Kitchen Range Hood with High-End LED Lights Review
Modern kitchens are not complete without a range hood in the middle of the room both as decoration and as a functional item. This range hood not only looks great in the kitchen, but it also is highly functional and is designed with all of the bells and whistles you could want. The Kitchen Bath Collection STL75-LED Stainless Steel Wall-Mounted Kitchen Range Hood with High-End LED Lights provides brightness in the space that is unmatched by competitor products. It features a touch screen panel so you can control the lights as well as the three speed settings. It can even be installed as a vent-less range hood if desired.
Pros: Touch screen control panel, LED lighting, and three speed settings.
Cons: Loud motor
Broan 413004 ADA Capable Non-Ducted Under-Cabinet Range Hood Review
The kitchen is an unpredictable place which is why you need to have a range hood installed in your kitchen. This item has two fan speeds so that no matter how much smoke or odor you want to get out of the area, it can get the job done. It is easy to clean with sleek lines and the Broan 413004 ADA Capable Non-Ducted Under-Cabinet Range Hood can fit any design. It is available in a variety of colors including some of the most popular ones like stainless steel and black. It also is available in different sizes so you can get the perfect one for your specific kitchen setup.
Pros: Easy to mount and stylish design.
Cons: Noisy fan.
Golden Vantage 30″ Island Mount Range Hood Review
Do you have a modern kitchen, or have you always dreamed of updating your kitchen into a room with a more polished look, then you’re going to want this range hood to be the center of attention. This range hood features a quiet (less than 65dB) fan with a single piece, multi-layer aluminum mesh filter. It’s perfect for kitchens with ceilings between eight and nine feet tall. Four Led banks provide all the light you need while cooking
Pros: quiet, easy to clean, convertible systems available, touch panel
Cons: not ideal for kitchens with ceiling taller than nine feet
Broan QS130SS Allure Range Hood, Stainless Steel, 30-inch Review
This hood is very stylish and will go great in any new kitchen design. One of the best things about the range hood is that it is extremely quiet, even on the highest of the two settings. Although it is quiet, it is also a very powerful device that gets the job done when you need it. The Broan QS130SS Allure Range Hood, Stainless Steel, 30-inch is made of stainless steel and will make a statement in your kitchen. It is easy to clean because of its enclosed design. It has built in compatibility to fit the majority of existing kitchen designs without a lot of hassle.
Pros: Quiet and easy to clean.
Cons: Design makes it difficult to change the bulbs.
Types of range hoods
When you’re buying a range hood, it’s important to learn the different types, so you can buy the one that best fits your needs.
- Undercabinet hoods: These attach to the bottom of the cabinet that’s directly above your stove. Under cabinet hoods are available in many different styles and strengths. Under cabinet hoods can also be called chimney hoods if they have a flue that goes up the wall to the ceiling. If you have cabinets above the range, it’s necessary to remove them in order for chimney hoods to fit and function properly.
- Wall-mount hoods: These hoods are just like under cabinet hoods, but they mount to the wall instead of the cabinets above.
- Island hoods: Island hoods hang from the ceiling over an island in your kitchen. When your oven is on your island, these are a great way to ventilate. Island hoods come in many styles, including glass canopies, curved metal and traditionally styled hoods.
- Downdraft hoods: These hoods are hidden! They only pop up when they’re in use so they can pull the steam and smoke horizontally across the range.
- Power packs or inserts: These hoods are also hidden. They’re simply built into the cabinetry above the stove.
- Pro hoods: Pro hoods are a lot like under cabinet hoods, except that they’re larger, more professional-looking and have more power. These are the best option for people who cook a lot. Pro hoods come in a variety of styles.
Range hood features
Different range hoods offer different settings. Here are a few things that some range hoods offer and others don’t. It’s important to review and see what features you need and which ones you can live without.
- Automatic shutoff: You can set this to turn off the fan after a certain amount of time.
- Change filter indicator lights: These tell you when your range needs cleaned or the filter needs changed.
- Heat sensor: When your range hood detects excessive heat, a heat sensor automatically adjusts the fan to high speed.
- Lighting: Range hoods typically have one to four lights to illuminate your cooking space. Consider a low light level if you cook at night. Some other lighting options include incandescent, fluorescent, halogen or LED bulbs.
More to consider
There are few final things to consider when you’re buying a range hood.
- Strength: The range hood power you need depends on the type of range hood you get as well as how much cooking you do. If you do a lot of heavy cooking with steam or strong odors, consider a range hood with at least 350 CFM (cubic feet per minute). For high-output gas ranges or cooktops, the minimum rate of one CFM of ventilation per 100 BTU (British thermal units) is recommended. For example, if your burner output is 45,000 BTUs, look for a range hood that provides 450 CFM in order to effectively clear the air.
- Filters: Different types of range hoods use different filters. For example, a ducted hood uses aluminum filters to trap grease before the smoke and smells are forced outside. You should wash the aluminum mesh grease filters in your dishwasher about every month at the least. A non-ducted hood uses charcoal filters to trap grease so it doesn’t blow back into your kitchen. You can’t wash charcoal filters, but they do need to be replaced every few months. As noted above, some range hoods offer filter indicator lights that tell you when you need to change your filters.
- Volume: The sound that a range hood makes is measured in sones. One sone is roughly equal to the sound of a refrigerator running. You can use sones to compare range hoods, but be aware that the higher the CFM, the higher the sone rating. It’s recommended that you look at sone ratings to find the quietest hood.
- Size: When it comes to range hoods, bigger is often better. Your range hood should be at least as wide as the stove.
- Installation: Your range hood must be installed according to the manufacturer’s directions. This is typically 18 to 30 inches above the stove. That’s enough space for you to cook, as well as enough space to prevent steam from escaping out the sides.
In addition to all of these factors, range hoods come in many different brands. It’s important to head to your local hardware store and check out all of the options in person, keeping in mind the considerations above.
When you choose the best range hood for your kitchen, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly your kitchen is fully ventilated, smelling great and looking so fresh and clean. Cooking’s about to become a whole lot cleaner!